Sunday 28 September 2008

Dell Studio Wireless

The Dell Studio laptop that I have is fitted with a "Dell Wireless 1510 Half Mini Card". This should allow a Wireless 802.11n connection. However this is were things get a little complicated......

I've got install a 64 Bit version of OpenSUSE on the laptop, so in the past I've used the ndiswrapper to use windows drives for wireless. The only drivers I could find on the dell website were for vista and these won't work with ndiswrapper to me knowledge.

After a little searching on the Internet I found some native drivers. These are from the manufacture of the card so are not open drivers, but mostly work. http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

These however are not perfect. I find that for some reason the connection to the wireless keeps dropping. I've yet to find a solution for this.

No comments: